Audiobooks for Quilters
When I was young, I frequently got in trouble for staying up too late with my light on (of course reading!). Looking back, I’m sure my parents were glad that reading too much was the only trouble I was getting into!
Books are magical, they create new ideas, broaden your perspective, make you laugh and cry all at the same time.
A List of Favorite Audiobooks
There are two hobbies (if you can call them that) that I’ve always had: reading and quilting. Combining the two was relatively easy with the advent of audiobooks which were largely unavailable when I was young (yikes I sound like my parents!).
If you’re a reader like me, you’ll love this blog post. Dedicated to some of my favorite (and favorites of friends) books to listen to while quilting, or read when not quilting!
If you have any favorite audiobooks, share them in the comments so we can all see your recommendations.
I’ve broken the recommendations up into sections, feel free to find the section you’re most interested in!
Audiobook Recommendations for Quilters
- Favorite Mystery/Thriller
- Favorite Business Books
- Favorite Romantic Comedies
- Favorite Quilting/Sewing Books
- Favorite Cookbooks
I can’t wait to share more, some I’ve listened to, others I own or have rented from the library. Remember to share your favorites too!
- Gone Girl By: Gillian Flynn My Husband and I listened to this on a cross country road trip and it was so suspenseful we didn't want to stop driving! Warning: Language and Adult Content
- Her Royal Spyness By: Rhys Bowen Referred by a friend, she loved it!
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo By: Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland – translator Pretty intense and dark, but also empowering. Warning: Adult Content
- The Black Echo: Harry Bosch Series, Book 1 By: Michael Connelly Such a great series and fun to listen to!
- And Then There Were None By: Agatha Christie I mean anything by Agatha Christie is great, this is a classic.
- The Ruin By: Dervla McTiernan Referred by a friend, they said it was intense, but really really good.
- Yes Please By: Amy Poehler - I loved this book, witty, real life Amy Poehler, who doesn't love that?!
- Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other By: Sam Heughan, Graham McTavish I only watched the first season of Outlander but this book was so fun to listen to, they are fantastic narrators and I almost feel like it should have been a movie/documentary. Warning: Language
- Finding Me By: Viola Davis Hitting all of the best selling lists, this book is an incredible story, super inspiring!
- G-Man: J. Edgar Hoover and the Making of the American Century By: Beverly Gage Referred by a friend, but illuminating about the history of politics, etc.
Favorite Business Books
- Fans First By: Jesse Cole Probably one of the greatest business books ever, if you haven't seen the Banana Baseball team, you're in for a treat and this book is focused on giving value to your customers, so wonderful!
- Traffic Secrets By: Russell Brunson Russell has a few books, I've only listened to this one and it was good, I liked his point of view, definitely worth a listen.
- Big Magic By: Elizabeth Gilbert So fantastic, really anyone who designs or does something creative for work should be required to listen/read this. It's cathartic and inspiring to hear about her journey to creative freedom.
- Resolving Conflicts at Work By: Kenneth Cloke Joan Goldsmith I was assigned this book during my MS degree and it was life changing. I still use so many of the techniques they talk about, in life, business, etc.
- Steal like an Artist Also should be required, it's wonderful to be released from the toxic idea that the world has enough art, enough quilt patterns, enough ABC, the world also needs YOU and your unique interpretation.
- How to Win Friends & Influence People By: Dale Carnegie Classic, my brother loves this book and makes everyone read it.
Favorite Romantic Comedies
- Any book (too many to list!) by Mhairi McFarlane I'm not kidding, Mhairi is literally my favorite British author, her books are INCREDIBLE, fun, witty, mostly clean (for moms out there listening with kids!) and really just a ride. I live for her new releases.
- Sweet Magnolia’s books By: Sherryl Woods I mean... there's a reason Netflix picked up these books, they're equal parts sugar and southern charm. I love them.
- The Selection Series By: Kiera Cass Young Adult fiction is seriously some of the best, it's not overly complicated, or dark. This is a great example of a fun and interesting story.
- Crazy Rich Asians By: Kevin Kwan So good, and even better then the movie, which is hard to beat!
- Persuasion By: Jane Austen This specific version is read by Francis Pugh so there's that. I remember reading this on a long bus ride from Florence to Rome and I finished it right as the bus pulled up, that letter though (excuse me while I go sob tears of joy).
- Taming of the Shrew – Shakespeare I fell in love with Shakespeare after taking a Shakespeare class in college, but more specifically this story. I don't know why, but I just love the premise, it's a fun story that always has me laughing.
Favorite Parenting/Improvement Books
- Bringing up Bebe By: Pamela Druckerman I snagged this from @emmaquiltsalot on Instagram after she shared it, and it is SO GOOD.
- Atomic Habits An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones By: James Clear I mean life changing is the only way to describe this book, if you haven't read it/listened to it... get ready to make some changes!! I've already adjusted my morning routine/habits and I feel like I'm making progress on a lot more goals!
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Powerful Lessons in Personal Change By: Stephen R. Covey Another classic, and a good reminder to be focused on what is most important.
Just for Fun: Books That Are (Probably) Better as Books
Favorite Quilting/Sewing Books
- Simple Geometric Quilting By: Laura Preston I've always admired Vacilando Studios so this book was a treat to read and look at. I will note that there are some corrections to the patterns, so note those before attempting any projects!
- Ultimate Modern Quilt Block Collection Book By: Daisy Dodge A fantastic resource and really beautifully illustrated.
- Perfect Piecing Handy Pocket Guide By: Patty Murphy It is exactly what it says, handy and perfect.
- Not Your Grandma's Sewing Guide - Kaitlyn Dornier I came across this book on Etsy and immediately fell in love. I love anyone who is pushing the boundaries of "accepted" quilting and making into their own.
- One-Yard Wonders By: Patricia Hoskins, Rebecca Yaker A really helpful series for looking at smaller projects that don't use a ton of fabric.
- Bouchon Bakery By: Thomas Keller Really I should have said I have 3 hobbies: quilting, reading.. and baking. This book is the BEST, try any of his cookies and you'll see why, but don't skip the overnight rest.
- Momofuku Milk Bar: A Cookbook By: Christina Tosi Looking to level up your skills? This book will do that, some of the cake recipes are a little too rich for my taste but the cookies are so good and now we always use Valrhona Cocoa powder.
- The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime By: Ree Drummond Quilty husband and I got this for our wedding and it is still one of the cookbooks I use the most, her tofu wraps are to die for, the pot roast is heavenly.
- The Romney Family Table: Sharing Home-Cooked Recipes & Favorite Traditions By: Ann Romney I recently picked this up at a used bookstore and tried some of the recipes, there were all delicious! Lots of fun treats and fancier things as well.
I hope that this list of audiobooks (and books!) keeps you busy and entertained while you work on your next quilting projects! I've listened to or read most of them and they're some of my favorites.
I'll add more to the list throughout the year so check back ocasionally to see new audiobooks that have been added.
Happy reading (and by reading I mean listening!)